Catich Collection provides digital access to the artwork of
Fr. Edward Catich (1906-1979). Fr. Catich, one of the
world's finest calligraphers, was known as an international
authority on stone incising, typography and stained glass
fabrication, and as the foremost authority on the Roman
alphabet, its origin, nature and history.
Ambrose houses the world's largest collection of Fr. Catich's
work. After his death, he left a large portion of his
collection to John Schmits, professor of art at St. Ambrose,
who in turn donated these works to the university to start the Catich
Gallery. It is estimated that the university owns nearly 5,000
Catich works, ranging from sketch books and small
drawings to major pieces of art: primarily watercolors, ink
drawings and slates.
collection is archived at St. Ambrose, and over time, the
digital collection will encompass Fr. Catich's
manuscripts, diaries and letters, as well as his artwork. A
long term goal of this project is to promote public and
scholarly awareness of his achievements and to develop a
broader appreciation for the aesthetics of his work.
Need tips on viewing and searching the collection?
Click here to download
and print off a PDF of helpful hints to find what you're
Catich Digital collection would not have been possible without
the generosity of The Riverboat Development Authority.