St. Ambrose University Digital Collections
The Catich Collection provides digital access to the artwork of Fr. Edward Catich (1906-1979). Fr. Catich, one of the world's finest calligraphers, was known as an internatinoal authority on stone incising, typography, and stained glass fabrication, and as the foremost authority on the Roman alphabet, its origin, nature, and history.
St. Ambrose houses the world's largest collection of Fr. Catich's work. After his death, he left a large portion of his collection to John Schmits, professor of art at St. Ambrose University, who in turn donated thes works to the University to start the Catich Gallery. It is estimated that the University owns nearly 5,000 Catich works, ranging from sketch books and small drawings to major pieces of art -- primarily watercolors, ink drawings, and slates.
The collection is archived at St. Ambrose University, and over time, the digital collection will encompass Fr. Catich's manuscripts, diaries and letters, as well as his artwork. A long-term goal of this project is to promote public and scholarly awareness of his achievements and to develop a broader appreciation for the aesthetics of his work.
The Catich Digital Collection would not have been possible without the generosity of the Riverboat Development Authority.